I LOVE Avocados, and it’s one of the only fruits that fully ripen after they are picked. Stay away from any that have a mushy feel…they are past their prime. I usually purchase a few every week so I always have a ripe one on hand. When ripe (there will be a slight give when pressed) you can either refrigerate or cut it open. I like to use a steak knife to cut around the pit, then twist to open. Pop the pit out with your knife and scoop out the flesh with a spoon.
My favorite way to eat them? In vegetarian sushi with cucumbers. But since I’m no good at making sushi, I’ve found another way I can enjoy them that’s very similar and just as delicious, but so much easier!
Avocado & Black Bean Salad (Vegetarian)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (11 oz) can Mexicorn, drained or 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen nibblets
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 2 large Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup black olives, sliced or chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or salt substitute)
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl place the chopped avocado and toss with lime juice. Add the rest of the salad ingredients and carefully combine. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients. Pour over salad and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour so the flavors can marry before serving. It can be made the night before and makes great leftovers.
I have a few more Favorite Uses for Avocados, there is no better feeling than that of a ripe avocado. Okay, I exaggerate…somewhat. Here is a list of the myriad uses I find for avocados.
- sliced, on a turkey and cheese sandwich
- diced, on a garden salad
- sliced, with red onion slices, tomato wedges and my favorite vinaigrette
- mashed into my mashed potatoes (yes, you have got to try this)
- sliced, in an omelette (yum!) with cream cheese and crumbled bacon
- blended, in my favorite vinaigrette
- blended with mayo, for a sandwich spread or easy dip
- Guacamole (duh!)
- Sliced, over a bowl of spicy chili (very cooling)
So are you as obsessed with Avocados as I am? Well share your love for it by joining I love avocados on Facebook ,where you can download amazing wallpapers which you can share with your Facebook friends,virtual gifts (Get the 2nd one. Avocado slices), ringtones, and avocado badges. follow on twitter @guacgrl, and tweet your love for avocados using #iloveavocados, also visiting their website for great Avocados from Mexico recipes.
I hope you enjoy these avocado ideas as much as I do! Thanks! =)